Monday, March 3, 2008

Another near death experience

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Another near DEATH experience

So if you've been keeping up with my blogs, you already know that ive come close to death a few times while in my car, and it's never been my fault.

Today, I drove to FIU south campus for my 9:30am french literature class. Suffered through 17th century plays and then got back into my car and prepared myself for the long drive ahead. Today is when I have to drive to Ft. Lauderdale for my internship at Live Nation.

So I do as usual, stop to buy something to eat so that I am done by the time I arrive at work, and then I called my mom to say "Hi" chatted a bit and then I hoped on the 826 (Palmetto) heading north. Just as I finnished my kids meal cheeseburger from BK, I decided to call my sister Karen, so that we can discuss the new Maroon 5 album I bought yesterday. Everything was working like clock work. I was making good time, catching up with my family and even staying within the posted speed limit ( yeah I drive the speed limit).

To give you a picture of where I was, I had just passed Hialeah Hospital and was approaching the gratigny (however you spell that) and I was in the far left lane ( I feel safe in that lave). In mid sentence , I went silent at the sight of the car directly infront of me and the car on the lane to to right of it fighting for lane space. As one car sped up to block it from entering it's lane, the other sped up to claim his space. I guess one car must have cliped the other and the next thing I know is the big black (or blue) SUV was about to hit the wall and possibly me in the porcess, I guess the SUVs driver didn't want to hit the wall so they jerked the steering wheel to avoid the wall. I shit you not, The car went airborn and flipped onto its roof. But it doesn't end there. Once on its roof, the car slid through all 4 lanes of the 826, completely to the right and stopped on the right shoulder.

I have witnesses a few accidents in my life as a driver , but never NEVER have I seen a car flip completely in the air and land so violently on its Roof. I am a bit traumatized. The fact that I was so far from where the car stoped prevented me from stoping to check on the driver, but as soon as I saw abunch of cars stop to run to the overturn cars aide, I kept on my way. I know myself, and had I stoped I would have been so emotional and so frazzled that I would have been in no shape to help the poor driver.

Even though both drivers are at fault for driving so aggressivly, I would never wish (not even my my worst enemy, and she knows who she is) for that to happen. Can you imagine the injuries (especially since almost noone wears their seatbelt) and then after the persons injuries, the traumatization of not having a car to get around and whats worse, probably the fear of getting into another car once the wounds have healed?! I know that I have had a few brushes with a vehicular death, and even I come out crying and nervous of the cars around me. If it werent for my sister staying calm with me on the phone ( I would have gone into full water works mode) why? because I am first and foremost a CANCER sign which makes me emotional from birth, and then because I am sad for the driver ( the old put yourself in their shoes emotion) and finally because I am so lucky that I was not hurt in the accident. ( I was so close, yet nowhere near the destructional path of that car). I mean the car was like normal following distance (learned it in drivers ed) and if I were a moronic miami driver I would have been on the SUVs ass riding him until he moved out of my way. But thank god that I giev myself time to get to where I have to go, and I was in no hurry to waeve in and out of traffic like "Frogger".

I had a mini break down when I arrived to my job, all it took was a "how are you?" from Natalie (my coworker) and I felt myself tear up and not able to speak. I composed myself and then told the story to my bosses and I felt releif when all my coworkers said the same thing "I am so glad you are ok" and " that could have been you, you are so lucky".

It's funny how a few little words can change someones mood. The feeling that I actually matter in this amazing company made me thankful for everything that I have. I guess things like this just bring you back to earth and let you know that you are not immortal, and enjoy what you have when you have it, cuz in a second you can go from jamming to the new Maroon 5 cd to sitting upside down on the side of the palmetto expressway. I am thankful for everything I have (in no particular order), my job, my school, my family, friends and other amazing expriences I have been blessed with this year. 2007 ROCKS!